Visiting Students

Visiting students have full status as graduate students but are not pursuing a degree at the University of British Columbia. Visiting students may hold this status for a maximum of twelve months. Applicants must submit an application form, transcript, and letter of permission from their home institution. They must have the support of the Department(s) in which they intend to study. Credits completed while a visiting student may not subsequently be credited toward completion of a degree at the University of British Columbia.

Please note that while the LLED department accepts visiting students, there is a department quota each year for accepting visiting students due to limitations in course/class size. The department can only accept two visiting students per year. Before applying, please contact our Graduate Program Assistant, at, and indicate which term you are planning to apply for. Please note that the deadline for application as a visiting student is approximately five months before the semester starts (e.g. if applying for January 2012 term, the deadline is August 2011). There are only two intakes for visiting students each year, in the Fall (September, Winter Term 1) and Winter (January, Winter Term 2) terms. Visiting students are also limited to taking or auditing 2 courses per semester.

Before proceeding with your online application, please ensure that you have contacted a potential LLED faculty sponsor/supervisor as a visiting student, describing the graduate program that you are currently enrolled in, your progress to date, your plans for taking coursework at UBC, and your intended graduation date at your home university. The LLED faculty member must agree to supervise you for the duration of your stay at UBC. If you do not have a faculty sponsor/supervisor in the Department, your visiting student application will not be processed.

After you are admitted, we can offer you access to the UBC Library system and to events which other students in the Department and Faculty are entitled to attend; however, we regret that we are unable to offer visiting students office space or computers. Please also note that visiting students will need to make their own travel and accommodation arrangements. International students are also responsible for their own visa applications. There is no financial aid program to visiting students, and students are responsible for payment of their fees

Please visit the UBC Student Services website for information about fees.

  • After the online application has been completed, please submit the following supplementary documents directly to our department in order to process your Visiting Student application.
  • A letter of support from an LLED Faculty member who has agreed to be a sponsor
  • Two sets of official transcripts (in sealed envelopes issued by the Registrar of the home institution) of the graduate program for which the applicant is currently registered
  • Letter of permission from the home university’s Registrar or department head confirming that the coursework and/or research undertaken at UBC while a visiting student is for the purpose of completing the graduate degree requirements at the home university and will be accepted
  • Evidence of English proficiency (where applicable) in the form of an official acceptable English language test score

For English language tests accepted by UBC grad programs, please visit English Proficiency Requirements.

For the Faculty of Graduate Studies link and more information on visiting students, please visit Regular Visiting Students.

All applications will be reviewed by the LLED Admissions Committee. Successful applicants will be notified by email.

Exchange Agreements

Graduate students in good standing at UBC or any of the following universities can take courses at each other’s university without having to pay extra tuition fees at the host university under the terms of the Western Graduate Deans’ Agreement and the UBC/McGill/Montreal/Toronto Exchange Agreement.

Western Graduate Deans’ Agreement

  • Athabasca University
  • Simon Fraser University
  • University of Northern British Columbia
  • University of Alberta
  • University of Brandon
  • University of British Columbia
  • University of Calgary
  • University of Lethbridge
  • University of Manitoba
  • University of Regina
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • University of Victoria

UBC/McGill/Montreal/Toronto Exchange Agreement

  • McGill University
  • Université de Montréal
  • University of Toronto

For further information on the Agreement, please see the Faculty of Graduate Studies website.

Authorization forms are available here.

For those interested in applying for Postdoctoral Fellow positions, please consult UBC`s Policies and Procedures.