1. Is there a distance learning program?
    Not as yet.
  2. How many credits can I take in Summer Session concurrently?
    You can take 6 credits maximum at any time and 12 credits over the summer session (May 1- August 31).
  3. Can I send photocopies of my transcripts? It's really difficult to get my university to send original transcripts.
    No, you cannot send photocopies. The Faculty of Graduate Studies will only accept transcripts and degree certificates that have either been sent directly from the originating university to UBC, or, if sent by the applicant, they must be received at UBC in envelopes that have been sealed and endorsed by the originating university.
  4. I have not been to university for many years so it is difficult for me to locate someone who can comment on my academic ability. My current principal is willing to write a reference. Is this sufficient, or should I try and locate my university professors?
    We require three references including an assessment by at least one university instructor. If you have problems obtaining an academic reference, you should contact the Graduate Advisor.
  5. Is it possible to transfer credits from another university? What is the maximum number of credits that can be transferred and how do I do it?
    Yes, it is possible. The maximum number of credits that can be transferred is twelve providing the credits were not counted toward the completion of another credential, and that at least a B standing (UBC 74%) was obtained. The time limit for eligibility of courses for transfer to a graduate degree program is five years at the time the student commences their program. The student must request the transfer through their pro tem Advisor.
  6. What is the difference between an MEd graduating paper and an MA thesis?
    A graduating paper is different from an MA thesis. The former is optional whereas the latter is required. A graduating paper is typically under 50 pages long and is not based on empirical research whereas the latter is usually 60-100 pages long and involves data collection and analysis. MEd papers are awarded 3 credits and MA theses are awarded 9 credits, and it normally takes one additional year after coursework is completed to conduct research, write, and defend an MA thesis. MEd students who want to do a graduating paper should talk to their advisors at the end of the first year of their program so that they have enough time to plan the paper and to work on drafts of the paper.
  7. Could I, as an MEd student, do a graduating paper based on original empirical research and be eligible to apply for a PhD program?
    We do not have the resources to supervise MEd students to do research. MEd students who wish to do research should apply to be transferred to our MA program. They should discuss the intention with their advisors at the end of the first year of their program. We will process the request based on an assessment of 1) the applicant's performance in courses during their first year; 2) their potential to do research; 3) their selection of a suitable research topic and preparation of a short proposal; and 4) the availability of a supervisor able to supervise research on that topic. For admission to our PhD Programs in LLED students must normally have completed original research (e.g., theses) in their masters programs. However, this requirement may not apply to admission to PhD programs at other institutions.
  8. What is the minimum time to complete the MA degree?
    There is no minimum time. On average students take 12 to 24 months to complete their master's program. Normally, it takes 24 months of full-time study to complete an MA degree and 12-24 months of full-time study to complete an MEd degree.
  9. Can I complete an MA or MEd program by part-time study?
    Yes, you can complete an MA or MEd program by part-time study, however MA candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for full-time study.
  10. Can I apply for the waiver of TOEFL since I will finish my master's degree in the States?
    If you have a MA or MEd from a recognised North American university, TOEFL is not required.
  11. What is the time limit on my TOEFL score?
    Graduate program applicants whose degrees are from a country other than Australia, Botswana, Canada, Ireland, Kenya, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States and the English speaking countries of the West Indies, are required to submit a satisfactory official score report from one of the following organizations, obtained no more than two years prior to the application date.
  12. Does your department require a GRE?