Anyone interested in applying to be a post-doctoral fellow in LLED should submit written support of an LLED faculty member along with their CV to the department. LLED will approve this request and submit to the Faculty of Education for processing.
- Postdoctoral Fellows (PDFs) are either funded through personal scholarships (e.g., SSHRC, CIHR, Killam) or by their sponsoring faculty member’s research grants. In the first case, they are appointed as award recipients and work independently, in the second case, they are appointed as employees and work in a research team. In all cases PDFs are considered faculty at UBC.
- All Faculty of Education PDF appointments will be processed through the Deans’ Office, whether the PDF is supported by personal scholarship or is paid through a faculty member’s grant.
- Postdoctoral Fellowships are typically temporary positions. Appointments are usually one year long with a three month probation period, and can be renewed for up to three years. With approval from the Dean, a PDF can renew an appointment for up to five years.
- PDFs working half-time or more are eligible for benefits, including extended health plan, Canada pension plan, employment insurance, and parental leave. PDFs and their supervisors are encouraged to contact the administrative manager in the department
- PDFs can be international or Canadian citizens/permanent residents.
- PDFs can be concurrently hired as Postdoctoral Teaching Fellows. A separate appointment will need to be processed in these cases.
A full list of policies and procedures can be found at UBC Faculty Relations.