The Diploma in Education (TESL) is for teachers interested in teaching English to speakers of other languages in B.C. schools (if candidates already possess a valid B.C. teaching certificate), in adult community or academic settings, or overseas.
The prerequisite to the Diploma in Education (TESL) is a minimum of one year’s teaching experience. The program requires 30 credits of approved core and elective courses.
Core courses (12 credits)
Core courses consist of Language and Literacy Education LLED 478A and LLED 478B (3 credits each) (alternatively LLED 478C — 6 credits, administered through PDCE and offered only in Japan) and their prerequisite (6 credits) chosen from below:
- Language and Literacy Education LLED 489A and LLED 489B (3 credits each)
- Language and Literacy Education LLED 489C (6 credits)
- English ENGL 329 (6 credits)
- Linguistics LING 420 (6 credits)
Note: The prerequisite must have been taken within five years prior to enrolling in LLED 478C. It is generally possible to complete LLED 478C and credit it later (within 5 years) to the Diploma in TESL Program.
Elective courses (12-18 credits)
Any 300- or 400- level courses in the Department of Language and Literacy Education (except Teacher Librarianship). In addition, courses may be selected from the following:
- Adult Education ADHE 327, 330, 412
- Anthropology ANTH 317, 407, 408, 417
- Computing Studies Education EDCP 422, 424
- Early Childhood Education ECED 405, 415, 433, 438, 443
- Education EDUC 342, 432
- Educational Studies EDST 425
- Linguistics LING any 300- or 400-level courses
- Psychology PSYC 308
- Sociology SOCI 302, 382, 466
It is generally possible to complete LLED 478 and credit it later (within 5 years) to the Diploma in TESL Program.
Note: Information regarding admission, registration, and regulations on Diploma Programs is available from the Teacher Education Office, Faculty of Education. For advising, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.